Thanks to all of you who submitted ideas for the new blog tagline. Thanks especially to reader Joe, who nearly overwhelmed me with possibilities. How did I deal with so many good choices? My method balances speed with a little thought.
- Put the list of possibilities into a blank spreadsheet. (You can also use paper and pencil or Post-it® Notes.)
- Make up 2-3 simple criteria. (I chose "clear and simple," and "clever like me.")
- Choose a 1-5 rating, where 5 is best, 1 is worst.
- Moving quickly, compare the first item with the second item. (Think no more than 3 seconds on each pair.) Type a number between 1 and 5 next to each item. Compare the next item with the previous item, and so on.
- Sort the items in descending order. (Data/Sort/Sort By/Descending)
- Hide or cut all items with a rating below 4 or 5. Think of new items to add, re-rate, and re-sort.
- Keep cuting and re-rating until you are down to 2-3 items.
- Take a break. Come back, pick one, act on it, and listen to what others think.